Thursday, July 3, 2008

UPS guys should get hazard pay...

YAY!!! My new prosthesis came today and I am sooooo excited about that. Oh wait - I suppose I should mention that I am a below-knee amputee (BKA) on my right side. It happened in a house fire in 1974 (see my About Me section).

Anywho, I have had a horrible time with my prostheses (artificial legs) over the last 10+ years. They just didn't fit properly & I had an open area that developed on my knee that wouldn't heal. Whenever I'd go for a fitting or an adjustment I would explain my problem & promptly be told, "You can't feel that".

Ever have that experience? You go to a doctor & say, "Doc, my right finger hurts right here."

He says, "No you don't. You hurt here (pointing to your left elbow)."

Then he schedules you for surgery to "fix" your elbow and you go because, hey - he's got the degree, right? After surgery, your elbow heals but it's not quite right anymore and guess what? Your finger still hurts...Spread & repeat that over 12 years & 5 doctors & you've got my problem.
Well, by God's grace I found a guy (Matt Bulow - http://www.bulowbiotech.com/ check it out; he's awesome) that makes prosthetic devices & is an amputee himself. We loaded the kids in the car & trekked the 450 miles to see him. He listened, tinkered & made a great device which I received via UPS today. Now to the point of today's blog:

We're sitting around the table having lunch today. It's my husband (the wonderful Todd), my daughters (the ever-dramatic Kimber - 5 & chaos-in-a-tutu Emma - 3) and me. We were having corn dogs, but that's not the point. The dog, who's job it is to sit by the window and howl & bark out a warning whenever anything approaches the house, begins to "Grumpf!". My husband casually looks over his shoulder out the window & says, "UPS" as if that meant absolutely nothing.

I jumped up and hobbled to the door on my crutches as I had conveniently broken my current prosthesis 4 days ago. Now the dog, Daisy, usually just wants a scratch on the hindquarters & doesn't pose any real threat. Seeing my excitement as I open the door & throw myself at the UPS guy almost shouting, "Is that my leg?!!" she goes N-U-T-S.

Both kids have come to the door at this time, still in their pj's I might add, chomping on corn dogs. Daisy is growling, baring her teeth & yelping at this poor fellow as I continue to ask, almost threateningly, "IS that my LEG??!!!"

What a sight?!

By now, Mr. Brownshorts has barracaded himself behind the box he has put his life on the line to deliver & is using it as a shield to keep the dog from chewing on him like a corn dog. Not trying to be insensitive I say, "She won't hurt you - IS THAT MY LEG??!!"

In what I can only describe as a "concerned" voice, UPS man says, "You just get the dog inside & I'll set this inside the door."

Bless his heart! It then dawned on me that this poor unsuspecting fellow had just wanted to do his job & deliver a package. Instead he was met at the door by a one-legged woman on crutches, her 2 corndog chomping preschoolers & Cujo, only to find out that the package he was so carefully handling was in fact a replacement body part... yikes.

I think he should see his doctor for a check-up & cardiac screening. And then he should petition UPS to offer hazard pay for any driver that has to deliver to my address.

I wonder if I could get his address & send him a fruit basket...via UPS.

Dear Jesus, Thank you for the blessings you send right when I need them. And thank you so much for those by whom they come. Amen.

No comments: