Saturday, July 19, 2008

My place in this world...

Having survived a childhood accident in what can only be described as "miraculous intervention", I have spent the better part of my life wondering why God spared me. I mean, I think I'm a pretty fantastic person, but that in itself is really no reason to explain why I was given this time to grow, learn, love & ???. And what? That blank space drives me crazy sometimes.

What am I here for? I know God loves each of us & we each have a "mission" that is just ours. I always thought mine would be something huge because of the way I was saved from the fire. Yet, all I could ever muster was mildly mediocre, or worse, massive failure.

Several Scriptures have been my best friends during this searching. One of them I found recently in an unlikely place...the anointing of Saul as first King of Israel. Now Saul was a great man. He was anointed by Samuel to become something greater. In 1 Samuel 10, Samuel tells Saul all the things that will happen after Saul leaves him. In 1 Samuel 10:7, Samuel says to Saul, "
Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you."

He had his plan in front of him & off he went, blindly into the kingship, not looking back at the map of God's word again. Sounds familiar to me...How many times have I said to God, "Just point me in the direction you want me to go & I'll handle the rest!"

Saul did the same thing.

I don't want to be like Saul.

Today's verse speaks into my heart that I don't have to know what the plan is. I only need to trust that there is a plan and that that plan is something I could not do all on my own. I trust God to guide me as I search His word daily for direction. I wait each day to see what God would have me to do, which way I should turn, how far I should travel.

I know that there is a plan & I don't have to know it. I just have to "
do whatever [my] hand finds to do". Right now, that happens to be an all-but-insurmountable mound of laundry.

Lord, help me!

No comments: