Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The "What-if" Game

Do you ever have those times in your life where your mind drifts off at night & awakens again in the morning to the same thoughts? Do you ever have the same theme running through your brain all day, in every conceivable scenario? Do you ever play the "What If" Game?

What if my candidate doesn't get elected?
What if the company lays me off?
What if my child gets sick?
What if they lower the price & we buy and then we lose our jobs?
What if ...

It doesn't really matter what you're 'What if'-ing, the point is, do you spend too much time and energy thinking about things you have no control over & probably will never happen - and if it does, will most likely not happen according to any of the scenarios you've planned out in your mind??? If so, sister - pull up a chair & let's chat. I'm in one of those times right now.

Let's think this through together, shall we?

Let me remind myself of a couple of things:
1. No one sees tomorrow clearer than God. He's standing in it right now and it doesn't scare Him one iota.
2. God works all things for my good because I love God & am called according to His purpose.

Maybe the bottom will fall out tomorrow or maybe the day will tick by uneventful or somewhere in between. Either way God is still going to be God. He's still going to love me and call me His child. His ways are higher than my ways so I will hide in His shadow, rest and be refreshed.

Sounds easy, doesn't it? Well, its not. But it is possible. That's all I need to know.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get to sleep. I have some resting and refreshing to get to. Good night.

No comments: